Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Baby radishes I planted

When I came back to Etafeni I found the radishes I had planted a week ago sprouting - my babies! I remember Khehle asking me if I'd ever played "house"; he said that I should smooth the garden bed as flat as I would a nice bed to sleep in. He raked the bed lightly and lay down straight little furrows with the rake handle to make the perfect tiny seed-sprouting bed. With such little space, and no greenhouse, Khele had specialized ways of conserving space and maximizing food producton. Not only was there little space to grow food, but the compost pile was relegated to a corner of construction, with cement pouring in the sides and trash getting tossed into - these are the difficulties of gardening in the midst of both construction and a township that has no garbage service.